Welcome to Taiping Catholic Church Website
"See, Ponder and Live"
Msgr. Stephen Liew
Saturday - 5:15 pm - Rosary
Saturday - 6.00pm - Mass at St Louis
Sunday - 9.00am - St. Louis
First Week - Tamil
Other Weeks - English
For more info about Mass schedules click here for the latest bulletin.
Parish of St Louis Church & Our Lady of Sacred Heart Church
288 Jalan Convent, Kampung Jambu, 34000 Taiping, Perak
Telephone No.: +605 807 2786
Parish Priest: Rev. Msgr. Stephen Liew
For more info about our parish groups click here.
Parish Office Hours
Monday-Friday: 9.00am till 5.00pm
Lunch Hour/Closed (Mon-Fri): 12.30 pm till 2.00pm
Sat/Sun: Office open from 9.00am- 1.00pm.
(Office open for a short while after Sunset Mass on Sat).
Greetings of Joy and Peace.
St. Peter’s Chapel at Kuala Sepetang was build some 50 years ago. Due to wear and tear and termites the wooden structure is now in dilapidated state. The chapel committee and the Chinese apostolate of Taiping Catholic Church with the consent of the Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) and Parish Finance Committee (PFC) has decided to renovate and restore the chapel with concrete structure, costing RM 950 000.00 (Nine Hundred and Fifth Thousand).
Funds for the new structure will be raised from the generous donations from our parishioners and friends. I appeal to your generosity to contribute towards this good cause so that the catholic community at Kuala Sepetang will have safe and conducive place for worship and activities. Attached is the artist impression of the renovated chapel.
DEWAN ST. LOUIS
Dewan St. Louis is the biggest state-of-the-art multi-purpose Hall in Taiping suitable for a wide range of functions.
For more info click here or call 05-8072786/012-5808809.
Other than the links below(click on the image) click here for more links to other Catholic websites.
Church Of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart
Since Taiping had become the capital of Perak in 1874 and considering that the Catholic population had increased, the second parish priest Fr. Charles Mazery, saw the need for a bigger building which would be more suitably located. The French missionary selected the Klian Pau area and erected the first church for the few parishioners who had accompanied him from Penang. The Church was the first little wooden church built on the top of the hill (1875) and later on rebuilt with more durable materials (1884) at the foot of the hill was given the title “Our Lady of the Sacred Heart”. The first baptism was recorded on the 30th April 1879 by Fr. Allard under the name of Sebastiammal.
Saint Louis Church
In the year 1897, Father Louis Marie Duvelle, seeing that the Catholic population was increasing started a new parish to cater especially for the needs of the Tamil speaking Catholics, thus the formation of St Louis parish. The ST LOUIS CHURCH was built and blessed on 5 November 1899. This building is now being used as the Parish Hall. To meet the growing needs of the Tamil speaking Catholic Community, the present St Louis Church was built. Fr. Hermann blessed St. Louis Church on 7 October 1923. The first St Louis Church building is the dilapidated building next to the current church building.
Taiping Catholic Church
On 18 May 1997, Pentecost Sunday, Under the porch and to the right side of the main entrance to the Church of Saint Louis, Taiping, the Titular Catholic Bishop of Penang Rt. Rev. Antony Selvanayagam who is now the Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Penang, merged St. Louis Church and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church into the Taiping Catholic Church and appointed Fr Augustine Wong as the first parish priest of the Taiping Catholic Church. The Bishop also declared that the administrative centre and the residence of the parish priest will be at St. Louis Church, 288, Jalan Convent, 34000 Taiping, Perak.